Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

The new year snuck in around my house, as usual. We watched the ball drop on Dick Clark's New Years Rockin' Eve (poor Dick-such a travesty) and shared the first kiss of the new year for the 36th time. I always hope that the new year will be better, while realizing that January 1 is really just another day.

I picked up the newspaper this morning. 5 people killed, four of them children and 5 injured by a drunk driver hitting their mini-van head-onwhile driving the wrong way down a highway in Ohio.

The drunk suffered an injured jaw.

Same shit, different year.

6 comments:

Sushiboy said...

Drunk driving, so preventable. A shame.

Angry said...

Are you sure you didn't pick up a Melbourne newspaper? Even with our very tough on the spot checking by police, we still get way too much of this stuff happening.
Anyway, I'm celebrating a special day at my blog today and you're welcome to join us in the fun if you like.

e.Craig Crawford said...

Many of those people-killers have long DUI arrest records, I seem to recall. I guess the courts let 'em back out on the streets until they kill somebody. And taking their driving privileges away often does no good. Lots of drunks drive on suspended or revoked licenses.

Just Dave said...

It's true about the suspended/revoked license thing. The only solution may be to make it a crime for repeat offenders to own a car and a crime to loan, sell or rent them one. Thousands of people use public transportation and they can too.

Sushiboy said...

I use public transportation. If I can figure it out, a drunk should be able to.

Special K said...

I've tagged you.