Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dave - His Eyes Opened

Sorry, the title is an obscure reference to a Star Trek TNG episode. It would take too long to explain. Suffice it to say that the title is appropriate as looking for a job has been an eye-opening experience for me. Before the current economic situation, I used to get contacted by one headhunter or another with some fabulous job. Why wouldn't they want me? I have over 40 years experience in my field with a good mix of head office and field office jobs. I have the top 3 professional designations, at least one of which is damned hard to get. However, now that I need a job, nobody is knocking at the door.

I am so much better shape than most of the unemployed people today. I am in no immediate danger of losing my home, the pantry and freezer are full and I have a little cash in my pocket. Therefore, I am not whining. I am just surprised. I have found that most HR folks are simply resume screeners and, if yours does not have the right words in the right order, you are gone. I got a phone interview with a company today that had turned me down for the same position a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, a lady that I have mentored for years and helped to succeed recently joined that company and started harassing the VP to take a look at me. I think that I might actually get a second interview. If I can put myself in front of the hiring manager, I think I will get the job.

Before I lost my job, I felt sympathy for those who were out on the street but felt no real kinship. Now I realize that they are me. We are in this together and we will survive.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I need a personal chef, Dave! The pay isn't too great, but you and your wife are welcome to squeeze in with me and the kids!

Ha, ha!

J.

Sushiboy said...

Best of luck in the search.
Right before this downturn hit, I was also getting offers left and right. Seems like the job market is best right before it is worst.

Anonymous said...

yes, WE will survive

one of the guys i used to work with told me that, yes, most HR and recruiters look for certain key words and if you don't have them they just ditch your resume

i've always said it's more about who you know than what you know ... one reason i am trying to get back into Wells Fargo

good luck to you!

Just Dave said...

Thanks, Tina. And to you, also. I am ambivalent about getting back on with my old company. They have jobs open but can I trust them?

HG - You would get awfully tired of Chef Boyardee Ravioli. Besides, my wife wouldn't trust me around a hottie like you.

Thanks, Sushiboy. Something will come up, I feel it in my bones. Oh, wait, that's arthritis.