Monday, March 03, 2008

Giselle

My 18 year-old grandson called me at around 4:00pm CST today. I am on the road as usual (in Louisiana this time) and he calls me now and then so I can remind him as to when I will return so he can tell the hookers to go home and get rid of the empty wine bottles. This time, though, he said," I just called to tell you that you are a great grandfather". I said, "Well, thanks, dude. You are pretty cool also." "No", he replied, " you are a great-grandfather. My sister had her baby this morning" I forgot about that impending event.

She arrived a few days early by c-section as she was a breach baby. Her name is Giselle. She is 6 pounds + and 19 inches long ( or tall-whatever). As luck would have it, I was planning to go down to Texas tomorrow for some vacation time and my wife is already there with her mom. So we are going over to San Antonio for a couple of days and meet the young lady.

It's very hard for me to believe that I am a great-grandfather. I'm only 60 but my oldest son couldn't keep his equipment in check and wound up as a father at age 17. He did the right thing, though, and took a hand in raising my grand-daughter and eventually married her mother, although they later divorced.

Anyway, I am pretty tickled and will post some pics as soon as I get some. Welcome to the world, Giselle. I'm looking forward to spoiling you rotten.

13 comments:

e.Craig Crawford said...

Congratulations there, great grandpa! I know the feeling. My first and only great grandchild, Kaden, is 5 months old today.

Special K said...

Congratulations! You will be an awesome Great Grandad!
I hope Giselle and Mom are doing well!

SkylersDad said...

Congrats Dave, pretty cool!

Sushiboy said...

Congrats. Now you can incorporate your new title into your name somehow. Maybe instead of Just Dave, you could be Great Dave, or Dave the Great(grandpa), or something. :) Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS!

Superwoman said...

yeah! congratulations! A new baby is always a happy event.

Teri said...

Congrats. Wow, a great-grandfather at your young age?!

Special K said...

Teri,
We could mention what an attractive Great Grandfather he is.....but I don't want to make him feel like a piece of meat.

Men hate that....

Just Dave said...

Thanks for the kind comments. Mom and baby are doing very well. They went home from the hospital yesterday. The delivery was caesarian so my grandaughter will need a little more time to recover. Giselle is beautiful (naturally) and we took a couple of thousand pictures. I hope to get back down to Texas next month to see how things are going and to fulfill any needs my GD has for baby stuff but she got tons of stuff from her friends so she doesn't need much.

This here piece of meat is very happy. It is gratifying to be able to see the tail end of the generational train when you are at the head of it. I hope I am around for a while to watch her grow.

Sans Pantaloons said...

Congratulations Dave! I'm sure you will do a first-rate spoiling job!

Cheer34 said...

Congratulations! spoiling and then giving the child back to the mommy and dad is what it is all about.

Jodi said...

Congratulations! You are only 60 and a GREAT grandfather? Wow! I guess that makes you a stud (hee, hee).....
Can't wait to see the pictures.

XXOO,
J.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I could give the typical "congrats, Dave!", like everyone feels so compelled to offer (since they're not, like, even trying), but I'll go one better. I'm giving your great grandchild a $300k scholarship to Princeton! No need to thank me. That's what friends are for...

Just Dave said...

Why, thanks, Dick. I'm sure she will be glad to follow in Brooke Shields tiny footsteps.