Friday, August 31, 2007

Freedom to Love

I was in Chicago on business for the last few days. I really like Chicago in spite of there being so many whiny Cubs fans. Anyway, our office is on Madison by the river. I went downstairs yesterday to get some air about 10:00 am as I was tired of sitting on my butt in meetings. It was a beautiful day and there were a lot of people milling around. I saw a young Latin couple walking slowly down Madison hand in hand. They stopped at the bridge and enjoyed a lingering kiss. They spoke briefly, kissed again, then went their separate ways, he to his job and she to hers, I assumed, as they were both in business attire.

I thought that we often think about our freedom of speech, religion etc. in this country but not the freedom just to give someone a kiss on the street in front of the world. In some Muslim countries, this could get you killed. It would certainly get you ostracized. So the next time you see a display of public affection, be glad that you live in a country where the right to love is a freedom, too.

6 comments:

Special K said...

Sweet and very true.
We all need to display a little more love in public. We're free to do it, thankfully; but I don't think we do it enough.

"that girl" said...

pda is awesome!!

Just Dave said...

I agree with both of you. I love to see older couples (like me and my wife) holding hands, sharing a kiss and just generally nuzzling. As long as no genitals are displayed, what's the harm?

Special K said...

No harm! It's so valuable for the newly married to have and see examples of happy, mature couples.

e.Craig Crawford said...

How often we (at least I) take such simple freedoms for granted. Interesting that you took in that unassuming display of affection, and it gave rise to your reflecting on our freedoms, and that there are evil men who would take those freedoms from us, and certainly kill many of us. Such is their deep-seated hatred of us. Great post.

Just Dave said...

Thanks, Ever since I read "1984", losing the freedom or even the desire to love has scared me more than anything else.