Saturday, July 28, 2007


It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to.
Oyez. By order of HRH Dr. Mom, here be my official birthday post, albeit slightly early. As you can see, the serving wenches were hitting the mead before putting the candles on the cake but, what the hey.
Wow. It's hard to believe that I am going to be 60 years old. 6 decades. 12 lustrums. 3 score. 3/5 of a century. It seems like it was just a little while back that I was starting my first real job as a file clerk with a major insurance company while I went to college. Now, 42 years later, I am a vice-president with that same company. I guess I have such a winning smile that they couldn't bear to fire me. That and I have pictures of the CEO and his assistant in flagrante (not really, Joe, relax). I have a few less teeth than I had then and a lot more poundage but, all in all, I feel pretty good for someone on the verge of decrepitude.
I plan to spend Monday doing some old man stuff, like fishing and/or golf.I just want to relax a bit and ponder the meaning of life. My wife will be taking me out to dinner at a restaurant of my choosing (I'm thinking steak). Should be a relaxing day. Hope you all have a good one, too.

8 comments:

Doctor Mom™ said...

Wow-- when you were starting out as a file clerk, I was just undergoing toilet-training.

Ummmmmmm, that probably doesn't make you feel any younger........

Ah.........

You look great for your age!!! My grandpa has a few less teeth too!

Er....ah....

You have a great job! I'm sure you make lots of money...would you like to adopt me??

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...this isn't working out well.....

So I'll just sing and let me be the first (cuz I always get my way)

Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Just Daaaaaaaaaaaave
Happy Birthday To YOUUUUUUUUUU!


I wish you a great relaxing birthday, celebrate how you want and with your loved ones

(Unless, of course, you don't want to spend any time with them, then I wish they would all be in jail that day so they don't bother you)

Many Hugs... you will soon be knighted for your loyalty!

Sans Pantaloons said...

Happy Birthday Dave!

Teri said...

Have a great, relaxing day, Dave.

and enjoy the steak.

Just Dave said...

Doc, if I felt any younger, I would be dangerous. I'm happy with what I am. I'm looking forward to being knighted. I'm already benighted.

Sans and Teri - Thank you very much. It should be a relaxing week. Today off, the usual stuff Tuesday and Wednesday, then off to a conference at the Ritz Carlton in Beaver Creek, Colorado. A giant smoozefest really, with golf, fly fishing and river rafting with customers and potential customers. And I get paid for this. Talk about karma - I must have truly been a saint in a previous life.

Special K said...

HaIppy Birthday Dave! I'm sorry this is late!
I hope you had a great Steak and a happy and relaxing day!
Just FYI: You are not and will never be decreptit as long as your wit is acitve and your joy boundless. Our bodies age and move differently; and we love our reflexion less and less - but there is something mystical and amazing about each and every age we live to be.

Love ya!!!!!!!!

Just Dave said...

Thanks, Kim. The steak turned into bar-b-que but I didn't mind a bit. I really don't feel decripit, just a little slower than I was and sometimes that's a good thing (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). My next goal is to work 8 more years then retire in style. Then I will come to Kentucky and help you fight them dang Norweigens.

EJL said...

I wonder why we say 60 years OLD, I think the new national way of saying it should be 60 years YOUNG.

60 years, a great year, for wine atleast...unless of course it's cheap wine, then you get vinegar.
I know your years spent are like wine and cheese though aren't they Dave? They only get better with the years.

happy belated. (Considering I am responding in September)

Just Dave said...

I'll take a happy birthday wish anytime I can get one. Thank you.