Tuesday, June 12, 2007

In 1947 (the year you were born)

Harry Truman is president of the US

Jackie Robinson breaks the color barrier in baseball by joining the Brooklyn Dodgers

Britain grants independence to India and Pakistan

The Truman Doctrine is formulated to aid Greece and Turkey against Communist rebels and Soviet expansionism

The House UnAmerican Activities Committee begins hearings into alleged communist influence in Hollywood

The CIA is established

David Bowie, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Elton John, David Letterman, and Stephen King

New York Yankees win the World Series

Chicago Cardinals win the NFL championship

Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup

The Diary of Anne Frank is published

Jack Kerouac makes the journey which he will later chronicle in his book On the Road

There are 14,000 television sets in use in the United States
They missed on celebrity: Arnold Schwarzenegger, who was not only born in the same year as yours truly but on the same date, July 30.

5 comments:

Teri said...

I don't mean to make you feel old but my mother was born in 43 and my aunt was born in 46....

that was a VERY good decade.

Special K said...

My Mom was born in '44, my Dad in '42.

I, of course, was born in '69. An incredibly groovy year.

Just Dave said...

Well, I guess I AM getting old but that is the natural progression of things and there is no reason to be sad. I'm just happy to be alive and hope to maintain that state for a while to come.

'69, eh? No comment.

Cup said...

Could it be ... YOU'RE ARNOLD???

Just Dave said...

Vat vould make you tink dat?