Friday, November 26, 2010


Requiem for a Cat

In 1994, my sister-in-law, Linda, queen of the animal rescuers, delivered to us a kitten. Someone had thrown it out into the parking lot of the office building where she worked. It weighed a little over a pound and most of that was ears. My wife was reminded of Ichabod Crane in the Disney cartoon version of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and that became his name.

After we moved to Colorado in 1996, my wife was having to go back to Houston to help take care of her parents. Ichabod became my friend then. He was never a stand-offish cat. He loved to be held and cuddled and would hunt you down if you weren't in his line of sight. He and our dog, Isabel, got along famously. Ichabod would let Isabel drag him around by his collar then would roundly bat her around the nose when she stopped. It was hilarious to watch.

Ichabod had not been himself lately and, on Wednesday, my wife found blood on his backside. She took him to the vet and found that his kidneys had failed and that he was very dehydrated. The vet gave him some antibiotics and we brought him home so we could discuss our options. We went back to the vet today and found that, even if we bought him some temporary relief, he would continue to go downhill and the treatments would be very stressful for him. We made the decision that we had to let him go. Ichabod McKinney, the coolest cat that ever was, died peacefully at 3:47pm, November 26, 2010.

I had never really been a cat person but I loved that cat. I miss him and know that we will never have another like him. I hope that he is happy wherever it is that cats go and has plenty of boxes to climb in and out of. Goodbye, Ichabod. I will never forget you.

13 comments:

Special K said...

What a wonderful story. I'm sorry for your loss - and I'm thankful he had such a wonderful family and vise versa.
Special K

teri said...

Oh Dave, I'm so sorry. I'm glad he was such a great cat for a "non cat person", like yourself.

I have two of my own and the thought of that impending day makes me cry just thinking about it.

I'm glad you have so many memories and had the love, with him.

SkylersDad said...

I am so sorry for your loss Dave, thank you for sharing his story with us. Animals make us all better, and it hurts each time we lose one.

Jen said...

Dave,
so sorry for your loss
you know I'm an animal person
so my heart aches for you

thank u for giving him
an awesome life

Just Dave said...

Thanks, you guys. I'm glad I was home in Colorado and got the chance to say goodbye. He gave us a great 16 years.

Zed said...

Dave, you're breaking my heart. I am so sorry to hear about Ichabod. Please accept my condolences.

Cats have a way taking over the hearts of those who might seem disinterested--and from there it is just a matter of time until you is won over forever. I see Ichabod did the takeover maneuver with you. What a good thing he did!

My cats Frankie and Johnny send you big cat hugs, and I send you a big human hug. Cats are incredibly special animals.

Zed said...

Did I just say "you is" in my last comment? I'm losing it. Definitely.

Just Dave said...

You is forgiven, Zed.

Jodi said...

I'm really sorry, Dave. I have a cat like that, too. Luckily he's very young, still, but he's special.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Love ya!
J.

Zed said...

I hope you're doing OK, Dave.

Sans Pantaloons said...

[[Manhug]] Dave.

Just Dave said...

Thanks, you guys are the best. I am flying back to Colorado on the 23rd. There's a chance we will be at the shelter, looking for a new cat. With three dogs around, we will be looking for one with some attitude. The dogs actually got along with Ichabod pretty well. I think they miss him, too.

Zed said...

Please let us know what you find, Dave. Cats with attitude are the best!