Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kafka Would be Proud

Last Thursday, my wife called me while I was travelling to Minnesota to tell me that her little brother, who was 52, had been killed in a car wreck in Kuwait. He worked for an oil field service company there. Her older brother lives in Houston and was trying to get the details of how the remains would be repatriated when the hurricane came through and knocked out his power. We were able to find out that his company will pay for shipping the body. The catch is that Kuwait is an Islamic country and they do not do embalming there, nobody, no how, becuase, under Islamic law, the body must be buried within 24 hours. Because of all the paperwork, his body will not be shipped to Houston until this Friday or Saturday. It will be in a sealed metal coffin, thank God, and will have to be buried immediately.

Now the catch is that, with all of the rain, etc., they may not be able to dig a grave without it filling with water. So there will be further delays. There are no plans for any type of graveside service but there will be a funeral Mass. However, my wife's family don't want to have that until his wife and daughter get to the US. She is Filipino and not a US citizen so the State Department has to issue her a travel visa but first they have to determine that she doesn't have a nuclear weapon in her underwear or something so who knows how long it will take for her to get here. Also, she cannot go back to Kuwait since she is no longer a dependent of a foreign worker there. My wife and her mother are on their way to Houston now but have decided to stop and stay with her sister in Fort Worth since there is no power at my MILs house in Houston. All the rest of the family that lives outside Houston are waiting with one foot out the door since we don't know when the service will be. What a mess.

Ray was a very troubled man. He got divorced some years ago and hated the US goverment becuase the judge gave his ex-wife so much. He was pretty well estranged from the rest of the family who didn't even know he had remarried. Estranged or not, blood is blood and they want to take care of him. It's just too bad that such a "perfect storm" of events had to prevent them from taking care of business on a timely basis.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How awful for you and yours.

My thoughts are with you~

Cheer34 said...

I'll say a prayer for your wife and family......my condolences to you

Just Dave said...

Thanks to you both. No change as of today. We are still waiting.

Superwoman said...

EEsh, good luck with everything. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope it all works out.

Just Dave said...

Thanks, superwoman. The remains have arrived here is the US and the funeral will be Monday. Since he was a veteran, it will be a military funeral, which guarantees that I will cry. There is a majesty and dignity about military funerals that gets me every time.

Special K said...

Condolences to you and yours, Dave.
I wish all peace and healing.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you and the family, Dave! I would cry, too. Any kind of dramatic funeral makes me cry, especially with bag pipes.

Sans Pantaloons said...

Dave, please accept my condolences.

Just Dave said...

Thanks, Kim, Teri and Sans. We gave Ray a good send-off. I thought it was interesting that the coffin was sealed with red wax and lots of Arabic characters, which probably read, "Do not break this seal or Allah will mess you up". The city of Houston is totally messed up with Hurrican Ike. I will do another post on that subject.